PREVENT SCAMMERS FROM GETTING YOUR INFORMATION
DO NOT GIVE OUT personal or sensitive information over the telephone, email, or the internet. DO NOT give your account number or VISA card number, ID’s, PIN, passwords, or other sensitive information. Signet would never make unsolicited telephone calls or emails requesting your personal information! If a Signet employee does contact you for any reason, you can always call the credit union back with the number that was provided to you when you opened your account or by looking up the credit union phone number in the phone book.
TIPS TO PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
Deter thieves by safeguarding your information
SHRED financial documents and paperwork with personal information before you discard them.
- PROTECT your Social Security Number. Don’t carry your Social Security Card in your wallet or write your Social Security number on a check. Give it out only if absolutely necessary or ask to use another identifier.
- DON’T GIVE OUT personal information on the phone, through the mail, or over the Internet unless you know who you are dealing with.
- NEVER CLICK on links sent in unsolicited emails; instead, type in a web address you know. Use firewalls, anti-spyware, and anti-virus software to protect your home computer; keep them up-to-date. Visit OnGuardOnline.gov for more information.
- DON'T USE an obvious password like your birth date, your mother’s maiden name, or the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- KEEP your personal information in a secure place at home, especially if you have roommates, employ outside help, or are having work done in your house
Be alert to signs that require immediate attention:
- Bills that do not arrive as expected
- Unexpected credit cards or account statements
- Denials of credit for no apparent reason
- Calls or letters about purchases you did not make
- YOUR CREDIT REPORT! Credit reports contain information about you, including what accounts you have and your bill paying history.
- The law requires the major nationwide consumer reporting companies - Equifax, Experian and TransUnion - to give you a free copy of your credit report each year if you ask for it.
- Visit www.annualcreditreport.com, call 1.877.322.8228 or write Annual Credit Report Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281.
- YOUR FINANCIAL STATEMENTS. Review financial account and billing statements regularly, looking for charges you did not make.
PHISHING FOR INFORMATION
A recent spat of sophisticated internet scams called "phishing" are making their way across the country. These scams are all designed to try and capture your personal information to bank and credit card accounts. Be diligent in protecting your personal information and do not use links within emails that request personal information or link you to a financial institution. We are dedicated to protecting your information and together we can make sure you are not a victim of these scams.
Please know that Signet will never ask you for your personal or account information via email.
Anti-Phishing Recommendations for Credit Union Members:
- Never access an organization’s Web site from a link provided in an e-mail, but only by typing in the actual URL.
- If you suspect an email may be phishing, contact the organization’s customer support center immediately.
- Be very skeptical of “urgent” messages that require you to enter confidential information.
- Keep your Internet browser software up to date and use an anti-virus and anti-spam product.
- Check your online account balances and transaction regularly for any discrepancies.